Will I Regain Weight After the Gastric Balloon Is Removed?
Are you considering a gastric balloon surgery? Then one question that you might have thought of is ‘Will I Regain Weight After the Gastric Balloon Is Removed?’ then read on for this article will help you get the answer to the question and much more!
What is a gastric balloon and how does it work?
A gastric balloon is a bariatric surgery where a small, deflated, silicone device that is inserted into the stomach through the mouth. The insertion process takes about 10-15 minutes and requires some sedation to help you relax while the procedure is completed. Once in place, the gastric balloon acts as a temporary stomach “volume expander.” This helps to fill your stomach (creating the sensation of fullness). The gastric balloon does not change how food is digested or absorbed, but it may help you feel fuller faster during meals which can decrease the amount of food you eat.
How long will I have the gastric balloon in my stomach?
The length of time you have a gastric balloon in your stomach can vary from person to person and be based on many factors. Your doctor for Orbera Balloon Surgery in Lubbock will advise how long it is appropriate for you to keep the device inside of you. You may find that it works for you for 6 months, 9 months or up to 12months.
Will I regain weight after the gastric balloon is removed from my stomach?
If you have a successful weight loss after having your gastric balloon it is likely that you will maintain this weight loss for life because you gained beneficial eating habits that hopefully will stay with you for the rest of your life. However, after the surgery it depends on various factors as well like your diet and lifestyle changes. It’s up on you to maintain your weight and ensure you don’t gain weight which again requires a bariatric surgery.
Ways to maintain weight post gastric balloon surgery
- Exercise- the gastric balloon causes you to take in less calories- however if you are still eating fatty high calorie foods then the weight will not be lost. You should work out at least 30 minutes a day to lose weight.
- Eat healthily- again the gastric balloon makes you eat smaller portions of healthier foods. If you go back to eating unhealthy foods, then you will gain all the weight back. The gastric balloon should not be looked at as a shortcut or easy way to lose weight- it requires hard work before and after surgery.
- Drink lots of water – this helps your body function better, increases your metabolism, and decreases appetite
- Eat 5-6 small meals throughout the day- many studies have shown that eating 5-6 small meals throughout the day helps people to maintain their weight. With a gastric balloon, you should eat your meal, wait 10 minutes, and drink some water, then eat again.
- Avoid sugars or natural sugar substitutes – these are empty calories that do not make you feel full. Stick with foods that make you feel full for longer periods of time- proteins and complex carbs are what to aim for.
If you are looking to lose weight, the Gastric Balloon is an excellent option. You can be confident that it will work for you as long as you keep up with your diet and exercise routine post-surgery.